The Department of Economics was started as an under graduate department in 1844. The Post graduate course and the research programme were started in 1930 and 1974 respectively. The Department offers UG, PG, M.Phil Courses and Ph.D programme.
The Department is actively engaged in consultancy services and has MoU with factories (The Ramco Cements Limited). The Department members are consultants for Central Co- operative Bank, Tiruchirappalli and counsellors for the central prison in Tiruchirappalli. The faculty members also act as expert members for the Board of Studies and Evaluation Committee of various colleges.