History of Our College

St.Joseph's College is an affiliated First Grade College of the Bharathidasan University. It was established in 1844 by the Fathers of Society of Jesus (The Jesuits). It was affiliated to the then Madras University in 1866. The College celebrated its centenary in 1944, sesquicentenary in 1995 and acquired the Five Star status, awarded by NAAC in 2000. It was recognised by UGC as a College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) in 2004 and was Reaccredited by NAAC with A+ Grade in 2006. The College is owned by the Society of St.Joseph's, a body registered under Societies Regulation Act(1860), having its office at Tiruchirappalli. This Jesuit college trains young men and women of quality to be leaders in all walks of life so that they may serve the people of the nation in truth, justice and love.

The Society of Jesus is a world-wide organisation of religious men, numbering about 22,000 spread over the world, of whom over 3000 are working in the provinces of India. In TamilNadu alone there are about 500 Jesuits working in schools and colleges, youth services and social work centers, in parishes and mission out-reach programmes, and in almost every form of service and ministry associated with the church.


Founder of the Society of Jesus
1491 - 1556
Year

Description

1491 Born at Loyola in Guipuzcoa
1521 Decided to Follow Jesus Christ
1537 Ordained in Venice
1537 Moved To Rome
1540 Founded the Society of Jesus
1541 Elected the General of Jesuits
1556 Died in Rome
1622 Canonized by Pope Gregory XV
 







Patron of the Missions

The Jesuit presence on the Indian Sub-Continent dates back to the arrival of St.Francis Xavier in Goa on 6th May, 1542. In the Tamil country, St.Francis Xavier and his companions worked in the Pearl Fishery Coast, Mylapore and in other parts. He preached the Gospel and planted the Catholic Church. The whole of India, including the Tamil Country was part of the Goa Province, having St.Francis Xavier as its first Provincial.

                       

Year

Description

1506 Born at Navarre in Spain
1530 Met St Ignatius in Paris University
1533 Conversion
1537 Ordained Priest along with St.Ignatius
1541 Sailed to India
1542 Arrived at Goa
1542 Traveled to Tuticorin
1542 - 44 Preached the Word of God in India
1545 - 47 Preached in Moluccas Island
1549 - 51 Preached in Japanese in Japan
1552 Died in Sancian Island
1553 Xavier's Body was taken to Malacca
1554 Body was taken to Goa
1619 Beatified by Pope Paul V
1622 Canonized by Pope Gregory XV
2002 450th Anniversary of his Death
   





 
Year

Description

1606 The European Jesuits named their mission as "Madura Mission"
1837-1925 The French Jesuits laid the real base for the Present Madura Province.
1852 The Madura Mission was entrusted to the care of Toulouse Province in the South of France
1886 Tiruchirappalli was assumed as the first Jesuit Diocese.
1923 Tuticorin turned out to be the first Indian Diocese of the Latin rite
1938 Madurai was assumed as the first Indian Diocese of the Latin rite.
1929 Madurai Mission was raised to the status of a Vice-Province
15th Aug 1952 Rt.Rev.Jean Baptise Janseens, Superior General of the Society of Jesus announced the creation of independent Jesuit Madurai Province.
 
Year Provincials
Aug 5,1952 - Feb 3, 1953 (Act. P) Fr.Humbert Pinto
Feb 4,1953 - July 30, 1958 Fr.Douglas Gordon
July 31, 1958 - Apr 21, 1964 Fr.Lawrence Fernandes
Apr 22,1958 - Apr 30,1969 Fr.Arul Maria Varaprasadam
May 1, 1969 - Apr 21,1973 Fr.Douglas Gordon
Apr 22,1973 - Apr 21, 1975 Fr.Gnanadickam Casimir
Apr 22,1975 - Apr, 1981 Fr.Rex A. Pai
Apr 5, 1981 - July 2,1987 Fr.Michael Jeyaraj
July 3, 1987 - June 17,1993 Fr.Aloysius Irudayam
June 18,1993 - Oct 8,1999 Fr.Donatus Jeyaraj
Oct 9,1999- Nov 14,2005 Fr.Francis P. Xavier
Nov 15,2005-2011 Rev.Dr Devadoss M SJ
2011- Rev.Dr Sebasti L Raj SJ
   





Jesuits Community

2013-2014


2011-2012


Contact us




St.Joseph's College (Autonomous)
Tiruchirappalli-620 002.
Tamilnadu,India

Tel: 0431-2700320/4226436

Fax: 0431-2701501

Email:college@mail.sjctni.edu

Copyright © St.Joseph's College, Trichy-02, TamilNadu, India. all rights reserved