Profile of the Department

The growth and development of the Department of Physics, one of the earliest departments of the College, is as follows: BA Physics Course was started in 1881.BSc (Hons) Physics Course was started in 1906 at SJC, the only College to offer it outside Madras City for nearly 40 years. MSc Physics Course was started in 1961. A new nomenclature was offered to the hitherto BA Physics as BSc Physics Course in 1930 and an additional section was added in 1963. BSc Physics Course was started in Shift-II in 1982. Recognition was offered by the University of Madras for research work leading to PhD Degree in 1971. MPhil Degree course was introduced in 1977. The Department of Physics has been the nucleus for starting two UG, two PG (Computer Science and Electronics) and two PG Diploma Programmes.

Copyright © St.Joseph's College, Trichy-02, TamilNadu, India. all rights reserved